Match Reports for 18/9/04

Tupton 3 – 15 Ollerton
Ollerton travelled to Tupton for this Powergen Junior Vase first round match full of confidence following a strong display the previous week.
Ollerton showed their over eagerness right from the kick off with several players being pulled up for being in front of the kicker.
Ollerton’s forwards started well giving their backs plenty of possesion in the first few minutes of the game.
Tupton had other ideas, and succeded in drawing Ollerton into a scrappy forwards game with neither side making any sort of impact.
Ollerton’s break through came from a rolling maul deep in Tupton’s own 22 which saw blind side flanker Nick Pearce crashing over with only minutes remaining on the clock. the convertion was missed and the ref blew for the end of a very scrappy first half. 0-5
The second half got underway with some excellent spoiling work by the Tupton forwards which neutralised any chance of decent possesion by Ollerton.
Tupton were rewarded on the hour with a penalty conversion to bring the score to 3-5.
Ollerton struggled to put together a series of passes until a superb individual break by outside centre Simon Hayward saw fly half Chris Ford in close support, recycle the ball for Captain Stu Parker to ground the ball in the corner.
Not converted, 3-10
The game remained very scrappy with Tupton again and again looking dangerous but failing to close the gap.
With ten minutes remaining, Ollerton gained a line out in Tupton’s 22 and a clean take by Mark Laughton resulted in another Ollerton maul which drove hooker Steve Wallis over the line for Ollerton’s third and final try.
The ref blew to bring to an end a very unsatisfying display from Ollerton who were only to glad to take the win and realise that they will have to up their game to the previous weeks levels if they are going to compete in this new league.
Ambervalley 2nds 34 – 7 Ollerton 2nds
Ollerton travelled to Ambervalley and met a well organised and experienced team.
Ambervalley dominated the game right from the start with an early penalty 3-0, Ollerton were under constant pressure, resulting in conceding a further try and conversion mid way through the first half 10-0.
Ollerton started to string some passes together but a further Ambervalley penalty made it 13-0 with ten minutes of the first half remaining.
Against the run of play Ollerton’s scrum half Dave Price broke from the base of the scrum to offload to outside centre Rob Berry who split the defence to beat three players and passed to young winger Jamie Price who ran in an excellent try, converted by John Etches.
Half time score 13-7
The second half was very stop start but the experience of Ambervalley won the day with them running in further tries.
Final score 34-7
Melbourne 3rds 10-5 Ollerton
The game started with neither team able to break down the opposition defence until fast hands saw Melbourne ship the ball to score out wide on the 20 minute mark. 5-0
This was again repeated in the last ten minutes of the first half bringing the score to 10-0 at the break.
Mid way through the second half saw Ollerton take the ball against the head and quick thinking from number 8 Dave Headlong saw the ball shipped wide for winger Lee Marsden to score in the corner.
Ollerton continued to pressure towards the end but could not break down the Melbourne defence.
Final Score 10-5

Posted in: Results
Posted by Kev Wild at 05:08 PM Comments (0)